5 Best Explanations Why Greta Left Fox News

On Tuesday, it was announced that former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson would receive a $20 million settlement for her sexual assault case against former Fox News president Roger Ailes.

Shortly afterward, Fox News confirmed that ratings boon Greta Van Susteren would be leaving the channel that same day.

It was pretty quick and unexpected.

The “On the Record” anchor’s abrupt departure incited speculation over her relationship with the already-ailing network.

Here’s what might have sparked her departure:

1. Good Timing

Van Susteren’s official statement on the matter indicate that she was unhappy with the network for years:

According to New York Magazine, she notified management on September 1st, and CNN’s Brian Stelter says she has a waiting period in her contract preventing her from jumping to another network right away.

2. Fox News’ Settlement

Van Susteren was one of several Fox News faces who spoke on the record to defend Roger Ailes against harassment claims this past summer. She told People that Carlson’s accusations didn’t “have any ring of truth”:

“Of course, the first thing that occurred to me is that, unfortunately, we have a disgruntled employee, a colleague. I read that her show wasn’t being renewed and, being a lawyer, I thought she got angry. I deal with Roger Ailes often. I’ve often been alone with Roger Ailes in his office over the course of 15 years and I’ve never seen anything like what I’m reading about in the papers and the magazine.”

However, in a blog post for her show soon after, she declined the suggestion that she was defending Ailes:

I did not defend Roger Ailes nor did I condemn him. I just stated what I knew or did not know. Period.

3. “Culture” at Fox News

The that same People interview, Van Susteren said that if what Carlson said was true, she wouldn’t put up with it.

“If Roger Ailes were how he’s described, there’s no way I would’ve stuck around. I don’t feel like putting up with that stuff and I wouldn’t,” she says. “Even if he weren’t doing it to me, I wouldn’t want to work in that environment.”

On Tuesday, 21st Century Fox essentially confirmed Ailes’ behavior by paying out Carlson’s settlement and putting out an apology to Carlson. Several reports have suggested that Ailes’ behavior with women was enabled by the management he was surrounded with, which has essentially stayed in place and/or been promoted since his resignation.

Further, New York Magazine suggested that Van Susteren may have left because she was unhappy with the culture of the network:

[A] source close to Van Susteren disputed this, telling me Van Susteren left because “she is troubled by the culture” Ailes built.

4. Trump TV?

Van Susteren’s departure comes the same day as the Washington Examiner’s reported confirmation of Donald Trump’s “plan B” for the election — to create his own television empire.

Last week, New York Magazine editor Gabriel Sherman revealed in his exposé on Roger Ailes that Fox News has “real anxiety” over losing its talent and ratings to a possible Trump network.

However, if Van Susteren was, in fact, troubled with Fox News’ culture, it’s difficult to believe that she’d join a network run by Trump, who reportedly enlisted Ailes’ help for debates after he left Fox News.

5. Money

On the day of her departure, Politico reported:

A source close to the situation said it was a financial disagreement that led to Van Susteren’s departure.

A clause in Van Susteren’s contract reportedly allowed her to break away from her employment if Ailes left the network.

Finally, Van Susteren earlier this summer said that she had a “long-term deal” with the network, in an effort to tamper down suggestions that she was defending claims against Ailes in an effort to re-up her contract.

The post 5 Best Explanations Why Greta Left Fox News appeared first on Independent Journal Review.

Source: Independent Journal Review


‘You Call It What It Is’: Town Refuses Muslims’ Call to Drop ‘Islamic Terrorists’ from 9/11 Monument

September of this year will mark the 15th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center, which took the lives of more than 3,000 Americans in a single morning.

In Owego, New York — which lies just a few hours from where the Twin Towers fell — a monument memorializing those who lost their lives that day has become a focus of controversy.

As FOX 40 reports, the monument has drawn the ire of a local Muslim organization, which has raised concerns about including the phrase “Islamic terrorists” in its inscription.

The inscription — as it is now — reads, in part:

“On September 11, 2001 nineteen Islamic terrorists unsuspectedly boarded four airliners departing East Coast airports to hijack the planes and carry out a series of coordinated attacks across the United States…”

One local Muslim group, The Islamic Organization of the Southern Tier (IOST), has requested that the town of Owego alter the inscription over concerns that it could “encourage hatred towards Muslims” living in the area.

Local news outlet FOX 40 describes the group’s request:

“A spokesperson for the Islamic Organization of the Southern Tier says that having the words ‘Islamic terrorists’ on the monument is a broad brush against the many Muslims who live in the Southern Tier.

The group has asked that the monument say ‘terrorists’ or, if they must, use ‘al-Qaeda terrorists.’”

It seems that town leaders, however, won’t be swayed so easily.

When asked about the IOST’s request, Town Supervisor Donald Castellucci responded:

“I don’t live in a politically-correct world. I live in a historical fact world…terrorism, whether it’s American, homegrown, Christianity, Islamic, you call it what it is.

And, we don’t whitewash things, especially here.”

Castellucci — who calls the monument “a place where people can remember the day and reflect” — added that the inscription is an “accurate citing of what happened.”

The town’s monument, which was built through fundraising and private donations, will receive its official dedication this year on the morning of September 11th.

The post ‘You Call It What It Is’: Town Refuses Muslims’ Call to Drop ‘Islamic Terrorists’ from 9/11 Monument appeared first on Independent Journal Review.

Source: Independent Journal Review


Johnny Manziel Puts NFL Career On Hold And Heads Back To His Old Stomping Grounds In Texas

Just before the beginning of July, Johnny Manziel promised himself, his father, and his fans that he would get sober, following a four-game suspension from the NFL for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

In fact, Manziel’s drinking got so out of hand his father even publicly wished for his son to be arrested.

Image Credit: CC/Wikipedia

Image Credit: Wikipedia CC

He feared that if Manziel — who is currently facing domestic violence charges and hit-and-run charges for two separate incidents — didn’t get help soon, “he wouldn’t live to see his 24th birthday.”

Since vowing to get sober on July 1st, “Johnny Football” moved to Southern California and now spends most of his free time getting back in shape after the Cleveland Browns released him from the team’s roster.

He even addressed those who believe his sobriety pledge is a charade in an Instagram caption:

And while Manziel won’t be seen suiting up for an NFL team this football season, he may be spotted walking around the Texas A&M campus this fall.

According to Fox News, a spokesperson for the school confirmed that Manziel has re-enrolled in classes this semester. Texas A&M is where Manziel became known as “Johnny Football,” and the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy.

Manziel turned pro after his redshirt sophomore season with the Aggies, never earning his degree from the university.

Image Credit: CC/Wikipedia

Image Credit: Wikipedia CC

Back in June, Manziel released this statement to the Washington Post:

“I’m interested in doing a lot of different things in my life—including football—but, right now, I’m just exploring options and waiting to see what the future holds.”

It seems as though getting a diploma is a part of it.

The post Johnny Manziel Puts NFL Career On Hold And Heads Back To His Old Stomping Grounds In Texas appeared first on Independent Journal Review.

Source: Independent Journal Review


UFC Fighter Miesha Tate Carries Injured Girl Down Mountain, Rebuffs Critics About Looking Too ‘Manly’

When a little girl named Kai broke her arm on top of Mt. Charleston in Nevada, an unlikely figure stepped in to help her out.

Trailblazing UFC fighter Miesha Tate happened to be on the mountain when she saw Kai’s mom struggling to carry her injured daughter to the bottom. When Tate asked if they needed any help, little Kai jumped at the offer.

Tate writes:

“The mother asked her 6 year old daughter ‘would you rather have me or her carry you down?’ Without hesitation (to my surprise), she quickly replied ‘I want HER to carry me.’ We had to laugh.”

The former bantamweight champion detailed the story via Facebook:

“Today, a little girl broke her arm up at the top of Mary Jane falls (Mt Charleston), and I saw her meekly built mother struggling to carry her daughter down the mountain so I offered to carry the little girl to the bottom. The mother asked her 6 year old daughter ‘would you rather have me or her carry you down?’ Without hesitation (to my surprise), she quickly replied ‘I want HER to carry me.’ We had to laugh.

I preceded to carry the sweet little thing all the way to the bottom. Kai and I learned a lot about each other on the roughly 2 mile descent, and it’s fair to say she inspired me. We made it all the way down without slipping or falling! We agreed we would both be strong for each other! Team work at its best!”

Later, Tate posted a heartwarming and empowering message on her Instagram about the incident.

It even included a “thank you” from Kai:

“Tear jerker! Meet Kai, the sweet little girl that kept me company down the mountain side. Very upbeat despite her broken arm. And I just have to say this was one of the most rewarding days of my athletic career.

And I also want to make a point that I have been told many times that I am ‘too buff’ or ‘manly,’ that I should stop lifting weights, that it’s ‘gross’ and not attractive for a woman. I am so happy I never listened to the limitations others wanted to put on me, and I hope that our youth knows that don’t have to conform. That strength and beauty come from within! #BeStrong #BeCapable #BeWhatYouWant #NoRegrets #JustLove #PayItForward #GiveBack #Inspire”

The social media reaction has been overwhelmingly positive (all images, Instagram screenshots):

Meisha Tate Instagram Comment 1
Meisha Tate Instagram Comment 2
Meisha Tate Instagram Comment 3
Meisha Tate Instagram Comment 4

All of Tate’s training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu paid off in a way she likely never expected. In the process, she found renewed positivity about herself and encouraged female athletes everywhere.

The post UFC Fighter Miesha Tate Carries Injured Girl Down Mountain, Rebuffs Critics About Looking Too ‘Manly’ appeared first on Independent Journal Review.

Source: Independent Journal Review


Fox News settles harassment suit with Gretchen Carlson

Former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson said Tuesday she was "gratified" that a settlement had been made in her sexual harassment lawsuit against her boss, Roger Ailes. The cable news channel simultaneously announced Greta Van Susteren was leaving, effective immediately.
Source: KCBD News


ITT Technical Institutes to cease operations

The U.S. Department of Education said in its blog that ITT Educational Services has been the subject of state and federal investigation for not being in compliance with accreditation standards. ITT claims government harassment.
Source: KCBD News


WE TOLD YOU SO: Trump Insider Confirms Plans for Trump TV

For those of us who have remained sufficiently awake during the course of this wretched election cycle, this is a suspicion we’ve held for some time.

Trump’s real motivation for what appears to be nothing more than a candidacy based on satire?

Reality TV.

The Washington Examiner is reporting on what every expert sees as an electoral blowout in November, with Trump receiving maybe a bit more than McCain in 2008.

From the Examiner:

Trump’s impending defeat is leading to a chorus of media speculation about his post-election plans. The two most oft-cited assumptions are:

Trump will not quietly fade into the background.

Trump will eventually launch a “Trump TV” media venture.

After speaking with a well-informed Trump insider (name asked to be withheld), I can confirm that both assumptions are true.

So here’s the scam: Trump capitalized on the anger of Republicans, who saw their elected officials doing little to nothing to combat Democrats in Congress, even after having been given the majority by the voters.

After using that anger to vanquish his opponents in the primary, he used the billions of dollars in free airtime he was being given in the press, as well as social media to build up his presence, and then his speech began to shift.

While still attacking Republicans, he also began his “Crooked Hillary” routine.

After a defeat in November, there’s no doubt that another Clinton White House will be steeped in absolute corruption and scandal. Trump’s concession speech will be something along the lines of, “I will not stop fighting for you!”

Even in defeat, Trump will have amassed millions of votes, and millions to hear the message of TV-ready patriotism, promising to continue to fight for other patriots against a corrupt Democrat machine in the White House.

But, according to the Trump insider who told me that if Trump loses this media project is definitely in the works  the brand may be “Trump” but the driving force has a different last name. “It’s all Jared” my contact stated emphatically.

“Jared” of course is Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s husband who also doubles as Donald Trump’s de facto campaign manager.

Kushner is already running a media company as owner and publisher of the Observer. With an eye toward the next big family project, apparently Jared is spending large amounts of campaign resources on voter data analytics. “Just look at Trump’s Federal Election Commission reports,” says the Trump insider.

Then there’s the sudden drawing in of Fox News’ disgraced CEO, Roger Ailes, and Breitbart’s Stephen Bannon, a man who has no experience, whatsoever, in running political campaigns, but much experience in media.

But my Trump insider downplays Bannon’s involvement in a future Trump TV/internet venture, insisting that Jared will lead the way. Offering more insight, my contact says it is unlikely that Trump will star in or host most of the programming given Trump’s problem with “attention span.” Certainly, Trump will be the face of the venture and its flagship programming, but he will appear “no more than once a day or even once a week.”

I know none of this will make a dent in the minds of Trump’s loyal and devoted cult following. They’re already too heavily invested. His loss will be attributed to the Never Trump factions who have been sounding the alarm about Trump from the beginning.

Then, there’s the “rigged system” that Trump has been crying about since he entered the race (in between his insults and gaffes, that is).

The blame for a Clinton presidency will be laid on the backs of everybody and everything, other than the fact that the GOP candidate was a really poor choice, with no knowledge, no experience, and interests outside of actually winning office.

Finally, according to my source, Trump TV will be launched with “OPM” (other people’s money) so, as always in Trump Tower, the “The Art of the Deal” will be the real winner.

Sounds like Must-Watch TV.

 

 

The post WE TOLD YOU SO: Trump Insider Confirms Plans for Trump TV appeared first on RedState.

Source: Red State


7 ‘Questions’ the Media Asked Hillary When She Greeted Them on Her Campaign Plane

Leading into Labor Day weekend, Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee, had yet to hold a press conference in 2016.

That changed over the weekend.

Clinton took questions from reporters during a 25 minute Q&A on her plane, and those reporters agreed: it was a “press conference.”

During the press gaggle, Clinton fielded questions on her handling of classified materials and why the FBI noted all the instances where she could not recall doing things:

“The fact that I couldn’t remember certain meetings doesn’t affect the commitment I had to the treatment of classified material.”

She also claimed to take classification seriously, and said she understood it upon entering the State Department:

“I went into the State Department understanding classification,” she said. “I take classification seriously.”

Clinton also, according to Fox News, expressed concern about Russian hacking and Donald Trump, adding that the timing was “really intriguing.”

But before that Q&A, which ended with Clinton having to exit during a coughing fit…

She greeted them for a brief exchange, and it was very cordial.

Watch for yourself:

Here’s that list:

  • “What do you think?”
  • “How does it feel compared to 2008?”
  • “Is it great to have all of us with you?”
  • “Have you missed us?”
  • “Are you ready?”
  • “How was your Labor Day weekend?”
  • “Do you have a Labor Day message?”

Hmm…

The post 7 ‘Questions’ the Media Asked Hillary When She Greeted Them on Her Campaign Plane appeared first on Independent Journal Review.

Source: Independent Journal Review